MCED Award for Innovative Contributions to
The MCED award for ecological modeling was announced in 2011 for the first time. Once a year young modellers can apply, who finished their bachelor, masters, or PhD degree within the last 3 years. The intention of the award is to foster the development and application of modern ecological modelling methods that can help to expand the understanding of complex ecological dynamics. With this focus, the MCED award follows the eponymous textbook for ecological modelling which has been published by Springer Publishing House in 2011.
The MCED editors together with Springer Publishing House encourage young ecologists who:
- analyze ecological phenomena using ecological modelling approaches in an innovative way.
- apply new modelling methods and techniques and thereby contribute to applied or theoretical ecology.
- use modelling frameworks to bridge the gap between basic science and application
- enhance the understanding of complex ecological processes and dynamics
to apply for the award.
A crucial condition is that your work is published; therefore, you must attach a copy of the thesis/the publication that you are referring to. A committee, formed by the editors, the president of the GfÖ (Ecological Society of Germany, Austria and Switzerland) and representatives of the Young Modellers (YoMos) will decide on the submitted proposals by end of August.
New since 2015: The prize is divided into two categories:
1) For PhD and Postdocs: The ‘main’ prize is endowed with 500 EUR the following prize will be a MCED textbook.
2) For Bachelor and Master students: The best nominee in this category will win 250 EUR, the following prize will also be a MCED textbook.
The next call for applications will be issued in spring 2016